This article I will show you how to get access to Google, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook in mainland of China. Well I’m Chinese and used to do these and of course these is useful to those who travel to China.
Unblock Google in China via VPN
What is VPN
Pic 1, VPN connectivity overview (resource from Wikipedia)
First I’d like to introduce VPN to you, VPN is short for virtual private network (VPN) extends a private network across a public network, such as theInternet. It enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network, and thus are benefiting from the functionality, security and management policies of the private network.
Step 1. Get free VPN
Personally I recommend. Click and find some free VPN accounts there.
Step 2. Configure your VPN
VPN setting for Mac OS
In System Preferences interface you can find the network icon. Click it.
Pic 2, System Preferences
Follow the instructions which show on the picture.
- First, Click the add button.
- Then in the Popup window, choose the Interface as VPN, keep the VPN type as PPTP.
- At last, give your VPN-connection a cool name. And do not forget to click
Pic 3, Configure the VPN setting 1
Let go ahead, Here can be filled with the free account which we have already found in Step 1.
I’ll randomly choose one of the server which they provided as a example.
Pic 4, Configure the VPN setting 2
Click the Authentication Settings, type in the Password. You are almost there! Click the Advanced button and check
Send all traffic over VPN connection.
Pic 5, Configure the VPN setting 3
VPN setting on Android
Same as well, we can set it on Android. I don’t have Android device, so I repost this for you. The original link: VPN Settings in Android.
- Press the Home icon, press Menu, and tap Settings.
- Tap Wireless & networks.
Pic 6, Android VPN setting 1
- Tap VPN settings
- Tap Add VPN
- Select the type of VPN to add (PPTP)
Pic 7, Android VPN setting 2
Enter the server, user name and the password information which given in the first Step.
VPN setting on Windows
Get the user password and the server information in Step 1. For how to setup VPN on Windows. Check the Video here and the introduction below.
- Click the Start button. In the search bar, type VPN and then select Set up a virtual private network (VPN) connection.
- Enter the IP address or domain name of the server to which you want to connect. If you’re connecting to a work network, your IT administrator can provide the best address.
- If you want to set up the connection, but not connnect, select Don’t connect now; otherwise, leave it blank and click Next.
- On this next screen, you can either put in your username and password, or leave it blank. You’ll be prompted for it again on the actual connection. Click Connect.
- To connect, click on the Windows network logo on the lower-right part of your screen; then select Connect under VPN Connection.
- In the Connect VPN Connection box, enter the appropriate domain and your log-in credentials; then click Connect.
- If you can’t connect, the problem could be due to the server configuration. (There are different types of VPN.) Check with your network administrator to see what kind is in use–such as PPTP–then, on the Connect VPN Connection screen, select Properties.
- Navigate to the Security tab and select the specific Type of VPN from the drop-down list. You may also have to unselect Include Windows logon domain under the Options tab. Then click OK and Connect.
VPN setting for iOS
Settings – General – VPN – Add VPN configuration: Type the infos below as given.
Pic 8, iOS VPN setting
Check the send all traffic, otherwise it won’t work.
Unblock Google using Lantern
Pic 9, Lantern proxy
Lanternis a free software which can help you to get a automatically proxy when you are blocked.
Click Download Lantern. It will automatically choose the system environment and the version which you need.
Check if it works
Finished! Let’s check the IP address now. The IP address had been changed to USA.
Pic 10, IP Test
And the speed is also quite fast.
Pic 10, Speed Test
Still have questions? Feel free to leave a comment!